Thursday 8 October 2009

Taking my own medicine.

I spend quite a lot of time encouraging people to build in effective evaluation into their processes. I then spend a larger amount of time persuading them to act upon their findings! You'd think that I'd automatically do the same for my own company would you not?

Today I took some time out to do my 6 month evaluation. Like so many people before me, it told me that what I had thought was going to happen and what had actually happened are two very different things! Even though the evidence was staring me in the face, I didn't want to move away from the areas that aren't performing because I have invested so much of my previous life in them.

After a cup of coffee and a self administered pep talk (my neighbours must worry about me!) I tried to look at the facts as if I were my own client.

I expected to be visiting schools and colleges giving advice to young people on selecting a University, or a different path that will get them to where they want to be. Although the interest is there, the cash to pay for the service is not.

What I'm actually doing is helping people set up their own social networking models, coaching people and acting as an agent for other consultants. I've also developed an e-publishing and e-merchandising strand.

My advice to a client would be, concentrate on what is working and join the voluntary advisers for the education side of things once you're finances are stable.

Looks like I'm revising my business plan then...